Sunday, September 28, 2008

And He Returns

Yes, the douche back.

Sorry I've ignored this blog for such a long time. I have been extremely busy getting the rust off my brain and getting back into academic mode; when you've been out of school for 4 years, it does take some time and a lot of effort to adjust in an academic environment.

As of now, I will update this blog regularly.

So what has been going on in my life? I have plenty of stories but I'll save those for later. Oh and warning: I will write a lot about my South Korean roommate and his weird antics. There you’ve been warned.

I landed in NYC on Aug. 14. So I’ve been here little over a month. It feels like a lot more. But I’m really loving life in the big apple.

I think to really really appreciate the US, you have to live outside of it… like in a place like Soviet Arabia.
I’m always being asked what I like about the US and I can never answer that question. I like a lot of things. Fairness, equality, opportunities… America, as a country, offers so much to the individual person. They don’t call it the land of opportunities for no reason - there are opportunities everywhere, you just have to TRY.

I bet a lot of you are wondering if this little “sand nigger” has gone totally wild and wasted all of his money on floozies and booze. Sadly, I’ve been a very good little boy. Don’t get me wrong, I have gotten drunk but it wasn’t anything exciting. What was exciting was when a friend took me recently to a Hasidic neighborhood and into one of their shops. The shop was so amazing, it looked like something straight out of the 19th century. The shopkeeper, who I am assuming was also the owner, was not very eager to help us. Apparently I don’t like Hasidic enough. I really wanted to get one of those funky black hats but he was giving us dirty looks.

Ok, another thing I will probably talk a lot about is the race issue. I’ve seen a lot of racism and it is usually from white people. I’m not saying all white people are racists but I’ve seen a lot of things that have bothered me.
For example, the other day I was walking home. There was a white couple walking next to me. After a while, we hear this guy screaming “Hey! nigga!” He yells again “HEY! My nigga!” Now people scream all the time in New York and I didn’t even notice this guy screaming until the couple started walking faster and telling each other “don’t look back, just keep walking.”
When they said that to each other, I thought to myself “is something wrong?” When I turned around and looked back, I saw a young black male approaching a black homeless man saying “hey my nigga, you want some food?” The kid reaches in the bag, gives the man some fruit and then walks about his way. The homeless man screams back “do you have a dollar? The kid stops, smiles, comes back and gives the man a dollar.
It was funny how a white couple, got scared of a black man screaming “hey my nigga”. Lol. Why did they start walking faster? Where they afraid that he mistook them for “niggers”? Or that he was crazy enough to rob them in broad daylight on Broadway?

It almost seems as if white people are scared of something all the time. I don’t know, is it me? Does anyone else have anything to say about racism in America?

Ok, that’s it for now. I have to get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment